This update is for the 4/24/2019 Newton School Committee meeting:
- Recently, students from Day Middle School had the chance to speak with U.S. Senator Martha McSally from Arizona.
- Last Friday, students from NNHS had the chance to hear from U.S. Representative Joe Kennedy.
- Last Tuesday, Newton hosted a state board meeting for the MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE.)
- Announcement that Newton North senior Maya Matthews has been serving as the student representative to the DESE Board. Additionally, former School Committee member Matt Hills was recently appointed to the DESE Board.
- Members of the Newton Youth Commission reviewed data from a year-long endeavor to study student stress: Youth Commission Presentation.
- Members of the STSG presented information on policy work and new initiatives to improve transportation: School Transportation Steering Group Update
- The Food Service Evaluation team provided an update on the vendor selection process. Within the updated Food Service Contract it was announced that Whitsons Culinary Group has been recommended as the new vendor for NPS. The School Committee will vote on the recommendation at our next meeting (May 13.)
- A new Recycling Policy was introduced and discussed.
- CFO Liam Hurley and Director of Business and Planning, Julie Kirrane, presented the FY19 Fiscal and Operational Update, as well as an Updated Facilities Report, which included several summer projects.
- The Equity Working Group provided an Initial Update about outreach and work towards the idea of a centralized fund for certain Parent Teacher Organization funds.
On Monday, May 13 at 7:00pm, we will review Long and Short Term Space Needs, summer maintenance projects, and Capital Improvement Projects for 2019-2020. We will also get an update on the Arts program and plans for Full Day Kindergarten, as well as vote on the Food Services Contract.
We hope you found this summary useful. You can access all School Committee meeting documents via the NPS website (www.newton.k12.ma.us/schoolcommittee). Additionally, if you are interested in watching an SC meeting from home or a recorded meeting, you can obtain access via www.newtv.org. On the district Facebook page, you can find videos of past “Virtual Office Hours,” which are held once a month and provide the community with the opportunity to ask questions through the FB Live format.
As always, we are very happy to answer any questions or discuss any concerns you may have. Please feel free to contact us via the email address below.
The Newton School Committee